Sunday, November 2, 2008

My Civic Duty Fulfilled!



Since getting married, I've been changing my name with all the companies I deal with, but I forgot one...The Registrar of Voters. In the primary, I voted absentee using my previous name and address with the intent of making the changes before the November election. Well, the deadline to change this came and went before I did what I needed to do. My sample ballot was mailed to my mom's. I could have voted at my past polling place in Escondido, but didn't think that would be convenient during the work week. Instead, I decided to vote early over the weekend at Registrar of Voters in Kearny Mesa...so did everyone else (or so it seemed in the County).

When I tell you how long it took me from start to finish, I'm sure you will say that I should have made the trip to Escondido to vote after work on Tuesday as I thought many times during my time in line. It took me (drum roll please) three and a half hours from the time I got in line until I walked out with my "I Voted" sticker.

Thinking I would get an early jump, I left D sleeping in bed at 8:10 and headed to Kearny Mesa. I had to park over a block away. At that point, the line snaked into the parking lot, down a long hall and back up and around several more lines before finally making it into the office to vote. In line, I met a woman who was voting early because she was leaving on vacation and others who forgot to do absentee and wanted to avoid the lines on Tuesday. There were all ranges of people there in line from the first time voter to the woman who had voted in every election since 18 (now in her 60s). Parent with young children instilling the value of voting, new citizens voting in their first election, families, singles. In spite of the long lines, spirits ran high at the prospect of what's to come. Regardless of personal beliefs, we were all united in our goal...to make our voices heard by giving up some time in our busy lives.

I finally made it to the counter and was re-registered with my new name and address. The only down side is that I had not prepared myself for the San Diego election pool. I voted and walked out feeling accomplished, hungry, thirsty and tired knowing that I could ignore the continuing political ads until the results are announced on Tuesday night.

So, to all of my readers, make sure to take the time by Tuesday November 4 and vote. The County is expecting a 75-80% turnout, so plan to wait in a line, but in the end, it's all worth it!

1 comment:

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

OK, I'm really impressed. i don't know if I would have had the patience!! Kudos, kudos!