Thursday, January 7, 2010

So Long, Farewell...I Hope!

The title might be a little cryptic, but I have a perfectly good explanation. This week, Tuesday to be exact, the office was asked to stay after work for a meeting. Turns out, we were all asked to stay to discuss the sub zero artic office climate. We are moving to a new location around June and with all that is projected to happen before then (layoffs, maternity leave), it's time for us to come together as a team. The basic message was that there is a lot of hurt, anger and frustration felt by all of us, but we can't keep carrying that forward. So, basically, we need to build a bridge and get over it. For so long, I've wanted us to all stop this junior high school behavior and just get along.

I know that it has been 5 long years of frustration and it's hard to just start over. It almost feels "fake" to suddenly act polite and kind and considerate when for so long it's been all about the snapping and nastiness. However, I feel like it is the only way for us to move past it all. So, on our first day (Wednesday), one of the Nastys brought a fruit tray...I think in the entire time I've been here, this has never happened. Things seem to be moving in a positive direction, but then again it's only been a day and a half. It was nice to go home last night not wanting to claw eyes out or having to vent about some stupid thing. I am hoping that it continues...I'm going to do my best to keep this climate of teamwork, cooperation and decency. So, in the spirit of all things positive, it is now time to put away the "Nastys" moniker and start over. I hope that I never have to resurrect that! Have a great day!

No comments: