Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Matchy Matchy and Other Weekend Tales

First of all, can I just tell you how wiped out I am?!? It was a busy weekend full of the range of emotions that can only be evoked by family...happy, sad, angry, excited, frustrated...I experienced the full gamut and felt like a manic person by last night. It was all I could do to pull myself off the couch last night and go to bed...that's how wiped out physically and emotionally I feel!

Friday: D and I headed up to Mom's to help with the early party prep. Kathy came over and helped also...she has been quite the help and support to Mom over the past few months. She is a great friend and has been indoctrinated into this crazy dynamic. Meema's contribution to the evening was dinner (I had to pick it up) of carnitas and chicken from Northside Market. Such good (and inexpensive) authentic Mexican food. Finally, around 9:00, D and I headed home to get ready for Saturday. I decided to be productive and get all our matchy matchy ironed and hung ready for us to go.

Saturday: D and I went to another Adrian Gonzalez signing. We had fun hanging out with our friend, Richard for a few hours. We grabbed some lunch before heading home for a quick nap and getting ready. Drove the new car (no one noticed...they even rode in it) to The Banking Mogul's for join up before heading to Balboa Park. Family pictures went well...we saw another family dressed in khaki bottoms and white tops...we were sure that our army could take them down without a problem. Here are some pictures that we took with my camera...and yes, our family is this small!

Photobucket
D and I...now known as Muffy and Ted who are ready to join the country club!

Photobucket
The Men of the Family...

Photobucket
The Women of the Family...

Photobucket
Meema (aka GGMa) with her grandkids (I'm the age-wise middle grandchild and the only girl) and great grandchild

After family pictures, we headed to Ruth's for dinner in our navy and khaki. Andy, our bartender friend, kept teasing us and calling us Team E...he got quite the kick out of it and it made us all laugh. Todd, Christine and Baby E made an early exit before dinner (not sure why). We ate dinner at the table next to the defensive line for the San Diego Chargers which included Quentin Jammer and Jacques Cesaire. It was Jacques' birthday also...we tried to get him to take a photo with Meema, but he wasn't having any part of it. Following dinner, D and I met "our child" Steve downtown. We hung out at the Tilted Kilt and East Village Tavern and Bowl for a while before heading home for some sleep.

Sunday: We headed up to Mom's around 10:00 and started getting ready for the party. The boys got the tables all set while I helped Mom get food done and the house cleaned up. Around 1:00, the rest of the family showed...I finally got some time with Baby E. I immediately fell for him...and it seriously awoke my mommy instincts.

Photobucket
Me (sans makeup) and Baby E

The family dynamic started and it was hellish at times that day. At one point early on, I had to go pick some things up for the party. I told Mom that I was leaving and wouldn't be back. Plus, I said things to Meema (with expletives) that should not be said to my 87 year old grandma. D kept telling me to relax and have fun. I tried, but it was difficult to bust my behind all day without credit. In the end, the party was fun and the food was phenomenal. Thanks to the excess of food, I won't need to cook much this week. The boys and I finally got home around 10:30pm where we crashed pretty quickly.

Monday: D and I were hoping for us time...wrong! Steve's flight back to New York did not leave until 9pm, so we got to entertain him for most of the day. He took us to dim sum at Jasmine (it was okay, but we were still hungry) and then we made a Yogurt World stop. We then went to Fry's (yuck), Target and Ross in search of a bag for Steve to take his extra stuff back home. I took a 3 hour nap in the late afternoon before we at barbecue. Steve left for the airport around 7:30. At that point, D and I got to take a breath...but it was a quick one...it's the close week for D, so it will be another busy few days for us.

All in all, the weekend was good. As I said before, I experienced a full range of emotions courtesy of my family. I owe D an huge apology for snapping at him (which I did under stress) and I also owe him so much love and gratitude for loving me in spite of this crazy family dynamic...he found out some information that makes me feel justified in my attitude and feelings (to be shared at another time). I also owe Baby E a big thanks...I knew I wanted to be a mom someday, but he cemented that feeling in me. I owe Mom a lot of gratitude and love for all she does and what she did this weekend without the gratitude of others. I realized this weekend that we need to take care of each other and not worry about the rest of the family. I owe my wacky crazy jerky dynamic of a family thanks...for being the army of navy and khaki that has drama, but still is a family. And most importantly, I owe myself some slack...for most of my life, I've internalized my (perceived) inadequacies and allowed that to make me feel less than I am. I have accomplished a lot in my life...I may not have the house or family yet, but I've done well. I only have to live up to my own standards and not those of others around me.

1 comment:

Pilar said...

1) I think you look GREAT without makeup!!!
2) You should start TTC or something, so we can all have kids at around the same time!!! LOL