Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Little Sleep...The Story of a Class Reunion Weekend

So, this past weekend was D's class reunion...hard to believe that it's been 20 (gulp) years since high school. Even harder to believe is that in one year, we'll be attending mine. This reunion thing has been such a big deal for D...he missed the 10 year because El Ron gave him the wrong date. So, last week was spent prepping for the weekend in the middle of so many other things.

Friday: We left work early (around 1:00 instead of noon as originally planned) to run some errands before heading to EC (Macy's for a shirt for D, Cheesecake Factory lunch with gift card, Nordstrom Rack to pick up D's pants). After a quick shower and change and packing, we headed out the door to hit traffic heading east on the 8. We rolled into town around 7:15 to meet El Ron and Perlina (his "friend") for dinner at Celia's. Our next stop was the last quarter of Central's football game to start the reunion meetings. A woman came up to me and said, "You're D's wife. I've seen you on his Facebook." This was so random to me...I guess that's life in the technology era. After the game, we headed to a party at home of classmate's parents. It was so cute because the mom was in front of the house with a flashlight directing people onto their property and the dad was in the back guiding people into parking spaces. We had fun hanging out...Perlina and I let the boys do their thing while we people watched. Two girls across from us, in a not so discreet manner, asked "who are those girls over there" complete with a vehement head jerk in our direction. The highlight of the evening was watching a very inebriated girl swaying back and forth while placing her hand on some male at all times (probably as balance). Because it is the desert and there are bugs, a cockroach was running about the patio and some of the guys starting kicking it around. All of a sudden, we hear a loud slam (heel on concrete), followed by silence and gasping, and "That's how it's done". The inebriated girl killed the cockroach with her heel. Perlina and I could not stop laughing...I had tears running down my face from laughing so hard. Shortly there after, we made our way home for a quick nap (about 5 hours of sleep).

Saturday: We all met some people for breakfast (Celia's again...gotta get my fill of the Special Quesadilla) before running around. We took a quick nap before getting ready for the reunion. The reunion itself was fun...it was funny to see Julie McCoy Cruise Director (aka my husband) running around talking to people. I am married to quite the social butterfly! During the slide show, there was a picture of D with his skateboard...too funny! At the event, they had a memory table with photos of all the classmates that had died...there were so many and we heard that there were at least 2 more not displayed. It was a true awakening because I didn't think after 20 years there would be so many. I met some cool people who told me about D and what a smart ass he was (and he still is), but how great he was. After the reunion, we changed and headed to The Owl (some bar in EC) to hang out before a late night Denny's run complete with about 40 people. Finally, around 4:30, we went to bed.

Sunday: We got up and did a last breakfast before our Super WalMart run and heading home. We got home around 4:30 and took a nap...we were both so dog tired that we couldn't move.

The reunion was fun...I tried to let D have his social time without having to worry about me. I found out this morning that one of the girls (who I'd met before and was part of the Who are those girls conversation) thought I was stuck up to everyone. I was pretty upset about that because I thought I was cordial. It also brought me back to high school and I thought I was done with all that BS...oh well!

No comments: