Wednesday, January 7, 2009

2009...My Resolution Wish List

Happy 2009! Since I've been home this week, I watched Oprah's Best Life Week. Hearing her talk about her failures and how she's getting back on track made me think about how to make 2009 my best year. I am not one to make resolutions, but I've started a list of my aspirations for this year. Here goes...

1. Finally accept that I am "all that and a bag of chips". For quite a long time in my life, I've been succeptible to the "I'm not good enough" complex. So much so, that it has impacted my past relationships and sometimes creeps into my life now. Instead, I've decided to embrace me and know that I am pretty darn great and have accomplished! I really need to hone this feeling because of two events this year, the annual Greek reunion and my 20th (yikes!) class reunion.

2. Forgive the past...as much as I say I'm over things from my past, I think I still hold onto pieces of it. I can't confront the anger and sadness face to face because the person has passed, but I can let it go. It's time to finally release this baggage!

3. Stand up for myself and stop accepting the putdowns of certain "so called" friends. For example, I have a friend who started treated me badly a few years ago after she'd been married with a child and I had lost some weight. Last year, I reached out to her after her divorce and she totally ignored it. I'm a damn good friend and am done with being the doormat.

4. Cultivate my good friendships and make those my priority.

5. Get healthy...I don't have to be rockstar bodacious, but a little less "fluffy" would work for me. I really want to be in good shape, so when it's time to take the next step into parenthood, I'm prepared physically.

6. Continue to get financially back on track. I will admit that I did live above and beyond my means for quite a while. It's not an easy path, but I am so motivated to move forward. Plus, watching HGTV has motivated us to stay focused so that we can buy something within the next year.

7. Date my husband and put the zing back into our relationship...just because we are an old married couple, it doesn't mean that we can't still date. So, we've aimed for a date once a week. I think by consciously putting this out there, we will make the quality time for each other.

8. Embrace the things I love and get better at them...starting with cooking and moving into other areas.

9. Find my way back to some sort of spirituality. I was raised Catholic and am not sure that's where I want to go right now, but am feeling like I need to renew that spiritual connection. I've also decided to keep a journal with thoughts I see and inspire me.

10. Make some kind of career move...whether it be a promotion, move to another job or stay where I am, I need to solidify my career path.


This is a good start...I'm sure the list will grow and change over the year...here's wishing you a great 2009 and hoping it's your best year ever!

1 comment:

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

This is an amazing list!! I think if you accomplish half I'd be way way impressed!! This is said as I munch on chocolate cake. This is not good.