Saturday, January 10, 2009

Celebration of Life

Warning...this blog has a heavy subject matter...I just returned from a celebration of life at Mission Bay for Michael. While I did not personally know Michael, his mother Susan and my Mom have been friends for close to 40 years. Mom asked me to attend to show our support for Susan during this difficult time. Michael was Susan's only child (I am an only child and am pretty sure this is hitting my mom pretty heavily for that reason).

Michael was born on December 1, 1967 and died on January 1, 2009 at the young age of 41 years old. Michael was a nurse and very active in his life...he was married and leaves behind 2 cute daughters (almost age 4 and age 2). In August 2007, after feeling like something wasn't right and 3 doctors confirmed, Michael was diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease). For those of you who don't know, this is a horribly debilitating disease with a typical time lapse of 2-5 years from diagnosis to death. For Michael, it was less than 18 months.

All those who spoke of Michael shared his view on life. He lived life on his terms until the end of his life. It was even said that a neighbor took him hang gliding within the last few months of his life with his breathing machine and all. His philosophy was to Live Life to it's fullest; Live Purposefully and Live Passionately. Listening to those speak about Michael and watching his daughters, I got caught in the eternal debate about death. What is the purpose of Michael dying so young and leaving a wife and young children behind? I rationally understand the plan of life, but emotionally wrestle with this kind of loss. I guess these are the mysteries of this life. Today only made me appreciate life all that much more and those that I share my life with.

So, Michael, while I never met you personally, rest in peace. God Bless your family as they remember you and grieve. And, to all those who read this, thank you for your presence in my life and never take granted those around you!

No comments: