Thursday, November 12, 2009

Ugh, Is it 2010 Yet?!?

I have really had enough of the roller coaster known as 2009. This has been one heck of a year. I really now feel like I've been through the ringer in every aspect of my life. What a year...and a week! Since our last entry:
  • Lots of cooking...2 trays of baked spaghetti plus one tray of veggie alfredo primavera, plus salad, 2 loaves of garlic bread, and 2 bundt cakes to feed the girls dinner in Big Bear. At one point during the cooking or some sort of prep, I kept asking myself why I had agreed to make dinner for close to 50 girls! The answer...it's been a rough semester and I wanted to do something nice for them. The reward was all the food (and I mean all of it) wiped out and many thank yous!
  • Big Bear Retreat Weekend: As part of the on-campus suspension (which has since been lifted), it was required that an advisor (specifically me) attend the Chapter's semester retreat in Big Bear. So, last Friday, I packed up and drove (with a member) up for the weekend. I really had an amzing time bonding with the girls...staying up late (4:30 a.m. Friday and 2:30 a.m. Saturday), playing CatchPhrase (not Catch Charades), talking, learning more about the girls and sharing (probably more than I should) my life. There were many moments that were special to me, but the memory I will never forget is waking up from a nap on Saturday (I had a headache) hearing singing. I walked out to hear the girls practicing a song for the spring. They decided they would sing it from the beginning for me...it brought me to tears...I was so proud of my girls!
  • Catching up on my rest for what I thought would be a back to work Monday.
  • Getting a call at 6:00 a.m. Monday from Meema that Mom was in the ER and had been taken via ambulance. Spending a worrisome day between the hospital and Mom's house before getting the final diagnosis of gallstones. We took Mom home at 4:00 p.m. I stayed with them until Wednesday.
  • Realizing for the first time in my life what it means to be an only child in dealing with a sick parent...even though D was by my side for most of the week, I really can't rely or depend on someone else to deal with Mom...it's all me!
  • Being subject to frustration and irritation out of sickness (for the 2nd time this year). Apparently, the brand of crackers I bought taste differently that the normal brand. Who knew?!?
  • Understanding how Mom feels in taking care of Meema. It's a lot of work...which can be frustrating!
  • Feeling like I am emotionally drained, but still have to carry through whatever is happening.
  • Feeling grateful that this is a health concern that is manageable and livable.

It really has been a week with the most manic range of emotions...I'm hoping that tomorrow (Friday the 13th) is a good day for us. D has an interview and it's a promising opportunity. So, if you could keep a positive thought for this, I'd really appreciate it! Hope all is well with everyone!

No comments: