Saturday, July 5, 2008

Post 4th of July Remembrance!

So, I meant to blog yesterday, but it was a busy day for us...we went to Mom's for a 4th of July BBQ and to hang out. It also turned into a working day...Mom had some things that she needed done and with D being the only man of the house, he won that lottery. We manged to get the trunk with the family stuff put back together and away, laundry (lots of loads) done, some contraption cut that Mom wants for her tomatoes, and some pool work done. I think, though, in the back of the minds of most there yesterday, work was done to keep busy and not feel sad. Yesterday was Greg's (my stepdad) birthday.

Greg came into our lives at the right time...I was 7 years old and Mom and I were dealing with the aftermath of the divorce. Greg was the polar opposite of my father...kind, caring, honest, respectful and so much more. He made our lives happier and easier...he idolized his "girls" (Mom, Meema and I). He stepped into a parental role and did a phenomenal job. The day of our wedding, I knew that he was there in spirit and I had some moments of sadness because I knew how excited and proud he would have to walk me down the aisle. Especially because I had fulfilled my promise...prior to him and Mom getting married, they lived together. Since I was a Catholic school attendee, this was a fairly taboo thing...one night (I was 8) after returning from a school function, I made the statement that when I was older, "I was going to be like them and live with someone before I got married." Greg, in his infinite patience and wisdom, replied, "Our situation is private, but I'll make you a deal...you can have any kind of wedding you want, you just have to be 30 or have your PhD." Well, I held up my end of the bargain. I was very lucky to have someone like Greg step into my life as such a strong father especially since my own father could not take on that role.

His birthday was a big thing for us...I will always remember 4th of July marathon pool parties and barbecues in the backyard complete with Greg is his patriotic chef hat and apron. It was always a fun and exhausting day of socializing and eating and swimming. For his last birthday (his 40th), we went to visit his mother in Prescott, Arizona. Mom felt that this was important for his mother to spend this milestone birthday with him...we had fun experiencing small town America's version of the 4th complete with a pancake breakfast and parade...dinner was fried chicken and mashed potatoes.

Now, 15 years after his death, the 4th of July still means more than just America's celebration. We remember the one we lost and try to celebrate his birthday in his honor...so, to you Greg, happy birthday...we love you and miss you!

No comments: