Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Simplest Things are The Ones that Make Me Happiest!

So, as previously mentioned, I've totally lost focus on work because I feel like I have mentally already left for vacation. So much so that yesterday, I was pretty frank with my boss about the launch of the online application system and how much chaos and stress it had thrown my way...I told him that the July 1 launch date was done too quickly without all parties fully comfortable with using it. The other side of the house basically only has 1 job (teacher) to post and they can sort by credential...we have so many more. I even told him that I would be meeting with one of the project leaders after I go back from vacation...she is gone next week or else we'd meet then. I also admitted that I am not comfortable with moving forward with the project on our side unless I totally understand the full scope and its impact on us...how can I train others when I don't understand? At the end of my (professional) rant about the project, my boss laughed and said that this made him nervous. Apparently, the director who was on the project committee told him that I was the sharpest one on the team and I had the best grasp of what was happening...score one for me with positive feedback to the boss! We'll see how the meeting goes after I get back.

After work, I picked up D (2 days of carpooling...yeah!) and we had to run some errands...D wanted to make a stop at his favorite place (CJ's Sportscards) to pick up a few things and then, we had to stop at UPS to pick up the laptop battery package. After hanging out with Barb at CJ's for a bit, we headed to UPS. They close at 6:00 (we arrived at 6:15), but the security guard told us that they reopen from 8:00 to 8:30 for late pickups. Rather than head home and waste gas, we decided to hang out in Kearny Mesa for a while. We went to Book Off which is a used discount book store off the 163. It's a cool place...we bought some cheap books after wandering around a bit. Then, we were both hungry and had dinner at Niban on Clairemont Mesa Blvd. They have decent good priced Japanese food...D had chicken katsu and I had chicken teriyaki and shrimp tempura...we shared some sushi and edamame. It tasted good and filled us in time to head back to UPS. After UPS, because we had not eaten enough, we made a stop at Yogurtworld on Convoy. From what I've heard, it's a similar concept to Pinkberry and Red Mango with several self serve flavors of yogurt and toppings. I ventured away from my normal cappuccino/peanut butter combo and tried (and loved) hawaiian sorbet (pineapple) topped with some nuts and chocolate chips. D also ventured away from his normal cookies and cream to have cappuccino topped with nuts. With lids on our yogurt, we headed home. I took a shower to relax a little more before plopping on the couch with my yogurt (and D) to watch TV.

Since there was nothing on, I decided to watch something from the DVR Tuesday night...The Secret Life of An American Teenager. This is a new show on ABC Family from the creator of 7th Heaven (which I loved). I was initially hesitant to watch it because I had read postings about how bad the show is and how much they talk about sex. But, because I am 36 going on 16, I liked the show. It had some poignant moments and looks like it will be a good series. Sorry D, there goes another hour of programming on the DVR!

Last night was the simplest evening that D and I have spent together in a long time, but it was the best one also! It was just the two of us doing random things together and having fun. I am so excited for us to be out of town and together on vacation. Well, have a happy 4th of July!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE YogurtWorld! I walk there from work for a peanut butter/chocolate mix with peanut butter cups on top about once a month. Soooo good!