Tuesday, April 15, 2008

It's All Worth It...In Stress, There is Gratitude!

In an effort to get the junk out of my head so it will stop irritating me and bogging me down, I'm trying to blog on a daily basis. Monday was a decent, but long day. Work was its usually fun place (haha) and we had our first weekly "team building" staff meeting. It went well until one of my coworkers decided to lay out what we hadn't been doing correctly...this is so wrong! Why can't we just ask each other why we didn't do something a certain way instead of laying it out in front of the boss?!? I swear it's like being children again...such drama! The day progressed fine until another incident happened with the same person...I'm trying to be the bigger person and not roll my eyes and let her get under my skin, but sometimes it just is easier said than done! Then, as the day went on, I checked my email and had questions and issues from the girls in the Chapter. In my free time (and I have so much of it), I am Chapter Advisor to my sorority at Cal State San Marcos. Apparently, the girls have hit the time of the semester where they lose their common sense and do stupid things. So, instead of my plan to head home and make dinner and have some much needed alone time before D got home around 8:30 from his softball game, I headed to San Marcos to meet with the Chapter President and get some things hammered out. I told D that I would be home around 8:00 and he laughed at me because I say I'll be home from things earlier than I do. Well, he was right...I walked in the door just before 9:00.

Upon my arrival, I ran into 4 of the girls who proceeded to tell me about the drama and stupidity that had taken place over the weekend at a philanthropy event. So, nice me was slowly evaporating and I decided to take matters into my own hands and stay for their practice meeting last night. My meeting with CP was good and productive before we went into the regular meeting at 7:00. In a span of 25 minutes with guest speakers, I had to yell (which is not me) to get their attention and tell them to keep quiet. This pushed the nice me out of my body and took all my non-confrontational issues away. In a room of 50+ college women, I lectured them! I was quite proud of myself for what I said and how I commanded the room. I will always have a visual of a silent stunned room of women in my head. At the end, some of the girls even clapped for me and thanked me for talking to the Chapter. It reminded me of why I put myself through long Monday night meetings where I walk in the door before midnight exhausted and drag myself around on Tuesdays...it reminded me that I am doing something important and possibly making an impact...in the end, it's all worth while!

Now, today, Tuesday is another day...with any luck, D and I will make it to the gym right after work and head home for some dinner and the Padres game and Biggest Loser Finale. And again, when I get home, I'll see how worth it this life can be...it's a good life I lead full of great people who teach me something everyday and reward me for being who I am! Have a grateful day!

No comments: