Monday, May 5, 2008

Weekend Recap...It's Monday Already!

Ah, yes, it's Monday of another busy week! The weekend was good...it had it's up moments and it had it's down moments. Friday, D and I headed downtown to the birthday dinner. Monsoon on 5th Avenue was nothing to write home about...the food was okay and I was still hungry at the end of dinner. The group decided to order a bunch of dishes to share, but there wasn't enough to fill or satisfy. The best part of dinner was the drink I order...Karma Sutra with vodka, passion fruit juice and a splash of Sprite...it was really good and one of those drinks that is easy to drink, but would knock me on my butt if I drank too many. After dinner, the group headed down the street to Confidential which a lounge and bar down the street. We ordered drinks and found a table upstairs...D and I were having a great time "couch dancing" and people watching. It was fun until two in our group started fighting...we're not sure of their status, but it is awkward to hear people fight. Deciding that was enough, we decided to head home...it was way past our bedtime anyway :)

Saturday, we had some errands to run...took the dustbucket (Jetta) to the car wash, dropped off rent, stopped at the bank, got gas in the Jetta (and sold a kidney to do so) and a bunch of other random errands. While we were out, I remembered seeing a segment about a cupcake place near home. It became my quest to find it...Cupcakes Squared. I was not disappointed...upon walking in, we got to sample the chocolate peanut butter which was a light chocolate cupcake with peanut butter flavored frosting. D, who is not a sweets eater, was impressed and asked for another sample. We ended up with 6 cupcakes to go...we had one for dessert that night...soooo good! After our trip there, I dropped D at home before I ran to Trader Joes and Vons for some groceries. This was a bad idea because I ended up with a lot of things that were impulse...D is my guide post when I grocery shop...I bought some veggies, sweet potato fries (wanting to try these and heard they were good), chipotle ranch fries (impulse...they were next to the sweet potato fries...I refrained from buying the garlic fries), scallops, shrimp and other things. At Vons, two six-packs of beer made it into my cart (again another impulse) and the remainder of my shopping list. When I got home, D said he was getting ready to call me because I had been gone so long. After a short rest, I started making dinner, a recipe I found online...vegetable lasagna, but I added some italian sausage. It turned out well, but was a lot of work...I also learned that my conversion thoughts are off (half gallon is not 4 cups...oops). After dinner, we debated about going to see Iron Man, but stayed in to watch the DVR (The Office, Top Chef, One Tree Hill and Ugly Betty).

Sunday morning, we headed up to meet Mom and Meema for breakfast. Meema's eye situation has not improved (may have worsened), so she will no longer be driving. So, she asked D to help sell the Saturn. The battery was dead, so D replaced it...now, Mom is going to take it for an oil change and car wash and then we'll list it. It was good to spend some time with Mom while D did his work. Mom did tell me that she is afraid that Meema is getting her life into order (selling the car, cleaning out things) to get ready to die. This upset me...I know she is almost 87, but I'm not ready to think about her not being here. I tucked it away in my head and never said anything to D until much later...I have a bad habit about keeping it in and am trying to work on this (that's the subject of a whole other blog). After leaving Mom's, D and I stopped at Kennedy's Karne Asada to pick up some pre-Cinco De Mayo food (pollo asada, tortillas, salsa)...we both have things on the 5th, so we did it a day early. It was soooo good! After dinner, we watched Rocky Balboa (the last installment in the Rocky series). It was entertaining...not the best and not the worst.

Then, off to bed to get ready for the new week...lots happening this week...Monday night is HOC or senior banquet for the graduating girls in Chapter, Tuesday night is book club (catching up on life and gossip more than talking about the book), dropping the Jetta off at the dealer for a recall and then nothing Wednesday (maybe Mother's Day shopping...I lag), Thursday with Mom and Meema...then we have the weekend. I hope everyone has a great week full of fun and happiness!

No comments: