Friday, June 20, 2008

Back to the Land of the Living!

So, the last 48 hours have been quite eventful! Wednesday, I had a migraine for most of the day and even took 4 migraine pills throughout the day to try to get rid of it. Just before leaving work, I had a dizzy hot flash spell and decided to fore go the planned workout for resting time. I figured it was my recent lack of appetite for protein with the heatwave. D and I stopped for gas and headed home. I took a little nap on the couch and felt much better. After dinner, while on the computer, I started having some stomach cramps. Thinking it was just gas pangs, I decided to go to bed early. Several false alarm trips to the restroom yielded to nausea and horrendous back pain and abdominal pain. I was in tears at one point with D asking me if he should take me to the hospital. After some subsiding pain, the horrendous pain came back...we left for urgent care at 11:00 p.m. The ride to urgent care in La Jolla was the longest ever...D kept rubbing my back as he drove.

We made it urgent care and got checked in quickly...I was called into the triage nurse within 5 minutes of being there. He asked my symptoms and told me that it could be one of three things: cyst (been there, done that), appendicitis or kidney stone. He said they would get a bed ready for me and call me as soon as they could. I guess the site of me bent in half and crying expedited the urgent care process. I made a trip to the restroom (nausea hit again) and then got called back into a room. They had me change and give them a sample before taking blood and giving me medicine for pain and nausea. It kicked it almost immediately and they told me to relax a little. The doctor came in and told me that they would be sending me down to have a cat scan so they could pinpoint the cause of my pain. Around 1:00 a.m., I was wheeled down for my cat scan (my first one). D wheeled me back to urgent care...around 2:00 a.m., I heard they had gotten my results and would be talking to me soon. The nausea came back, so the nurse gave me another dosage of medication. The doctor finally came in and said that everything looked fine and he thinks I somehow had a kidney stone and it had passed. Around 2:30 a.m., I was discharged with a pain medication prescription. We got home around 3:00 a.m. where we both left messages at work that we would be in late after our evening at urgent care.

Thursday morning, I planned on coming into work, but after a shower, I felt dizzy and nauseous again. Instead, I filled my prescription and spent the afternoon into the evening dozing. I watched some television and just tried to get my energy and appetite back. In spite of all the sleep, I still managed to go to bed and sleep through the night. This morning, I came to work and fell okay. I'm a little sore from being so sick and still feel a little sleepy...I'm going to try to work a full day, but will see how it progresses.

Needless to say, the last 48 hours have not been my best. D took good care of me and made sure that I was okay. Now, it's onto the weekend...have a great one!

1 comment:

Tessa said...

OH NO Jolie! I sure you are feeling better this evening! I've never had a stone but I hear they can be incredibly painful. Please rest up this weekend and I hope you feel 100% soon.

xoxoxo