Monday, June 23, 2008

It's a New Week...the Weekend Recap!

Welcome to the new week...the boss is on vacation this week and I have started my own vacation countdown...only 14 working days until I blow this popsicle stand for 11 days away from here. I am getting so excited to be taking a real vacation. Last year, I took days off for wedding stuff and other events, but never a long trip away anywhere. Here's a recap of the weekend...
  • Friday: Attended an end-of-year happy hour thrown by Lorrie at her home in Rancho Bernardo. She lives in the Westwood section which was one of the hardest hit sections of RB during the October wildfires...there are still homes being rebuilt or empty lots that I passed. I had not been into that area since the fires and was amazed at the random devastation of that area. The happy hour was fun as we all caught up on gossip and other things. After the happy hour, I headed home...D and I had a miscommunication event relative to dinner, but after we each got over our grumpiness, we had a quiet night at home. We finally (after a long stretch...several months) watched Ratatouille from our Netflix stack. It was a cute Pixar offering, but I think we were more entertained by the shorts at the beginning.
  • Saturday: Another day with D chasing autographs...I complain about this and know I don't have to go, but sometimes, after a really long week with limited "us" time, I want to spend time with him. We started at Costco picking us some photos, headed to Brecht BMW for free Chik-Fil-A sandwiches and waters and signings by Kevin Kouzmanoff (really cool guy...met him in Denver last year) who insulted my photo and joked with us; Tony Clark who complained about the heat which made him laugh since he lives in Phoenix in the off season. While at Brecht, I fell in love with the 1-series convertible which is so practical (not!) in light of future Big D family offspring (not pregnant yet, nor am I thinking about it...don't want to start any rumors) and intense desire (and pressure) to get our act together and buy our own home. Then, after more drooling over cars (the new M is sweet looking also), we headed to another signing stop...Mi Pueblo which is a Hispanic market in east Escondido. It was about 10,000 degrees and there was no shade. We got there in time for Jody Gerut to sign our stuff and then waited for Edgar Gonzalez. He was supposed to sign from 1:00-2:00, but did not arrive until 10 minutes before 2:00. Needless to say, I was charred to a crispy lobster red after standing on the blacktop for so long. After the signing, D and I headed to San Marcos for lunch at Fish House Vera Cruz. Because I was so hungry, I ordered way too much food...oysters/clams on the half shell to share, sopa de pescado and a combination seafood salad. After our late lunch, we headed south...and stopped at Mission Valley (Nordstrom Rack and then DSW) looking for white dress shoes for me (found them at DSW)...stopped for some groceries and headed home to our hot box of an apartment. Considering we live less than a mile from the beach, it should not have been so hot, but it was so bad...no air circulating. We had the front door and windows open plus 2 fans going and it still was not enough to cool the place. Dinner was some boiled shrimp and chips and dips. We were both lazy puddles on the couches watching some of the Padres game, Olympic trials for women's gymnastics and History Channel documentaries. Because the living room was cooler than the bedroom, we decided to sleep on our pullout couch.
  • Sunday: Made breakfast and did some laundry...at 6:00, we met the family at Buca Di Beppo for uncle banking mogul's birthday dinner. Food was good...family, not so good. Let's put it this way...invisibility is a good thing as a superhero, but not as a real person. D and I were almost silent for most of dinner...the conversation focused on everyone else including Baby E and his parents (aunt and uncle are heading east for a visit next week) and Clevelander. After dinner, we headed home and watched TV together on the couch. On the TV menu, Snapped (on Oxygen about women who kill...so addicted to this show for some reason) and Ice Road Truckers before heading to bed.

Now, it's a new week and it seems to be a mellow one...D has softball playoffs tonight...if they win the 7:45 game, he'll be home around 9:30. If they lose, they have to play at 9:00, so he'd be home around 11:00. I have to make a dish for monthly work birthday potluck event tomorrow. I'll probably go grocery shopping at lunch, so I can head home after work to relax. Have a great day!

No comments: