Thursday, June 26, 2008

Susie Homemaker and The Busy Life!

Is it Friday, yet?!? It's been another busy week full of life and nothing special...I have been quite the Happy Homemaker and spending lots of good time in the kitchen. I go through phases where I get bitten by the culinary bug and this week seems to be the beginning of that phase. Monday, after work, I headed to Henry's and bought a bunch of food, mostly veggies before heading home. Monday night, I made Giada's Warm Vegetable Salad made with potatoes, fresh green beans and roasted red peppers with an oregano, lemon, lemon zest and olive oil dressing. I brought it to our work potluck on Tuesday and served it cold. It turned out really well and there was one spoonful left at the end of lunch. I also made Ina Garten's Roasted Shrimp and Orzo salad (minus the roasted shrimp). It has orzo, cucumbers, red onion, and feta cheese with a dill, lemon juice and olive oil dressing...it was like orzo and greek salad met. There is a bowl in our fridge and it's been lunch this week for us.

Tuesday was potluck and a day of work without my nice coworker...translation: it was me and the Nastys all alone for the whole day. It was another invisibility moment (day) for me...and the bizarre and rude behavior went to a whole new level...if I didn't experience this, I would never believe it. My nice coworker and I always say that if we could write this into a book, we would be on the book tour pretty darn fast...it would be a great story a la Devil Wears Prada. After work, D and I headed to the gym...we had a good workout before heading home. D is usually really good with allowing me freedom is the kitchen and does not request much, but he did that night. He was craving stroganoff and rice...so, that's what we had. It was really good and so easy to make.

Wednesday, my nice coworker was back (yeah!) and proceeded to laugh and cry at all the stories I had to share, but she chuckled the most when at the end, I summed it up with the phrase "It was just another day in (insert office name)." After work, we headed to the gym again for another intense workout. Then came home and I made the quickest dinner because I had done a lot of prep work the night before and in the morning...dinner was chicken satay with cold peanut noodles. The chicken marinated all day and the noodles (wheat spaghetti) cooked the night before. All I needed to do was cook the chicken, make the dressing for the peanut noodles and throw it together. This was my kind of meal...fast, easy and delicious. I'm trying to spice the menu up a little...it seems like we've gotten in a rut and we have the same things for dinner. So, I've been trolling the cooking websites and blogs for ideas that would work for our life.

After dinner, I finished my book, Loving Frank. This was our book club book and I think it was one of the best things I've read in a long time. I was a little skeptical about reading it because it's not something I would have picked up on my own, but I was hooked from the beginning. I also had an intense reaction and feeling to the last 30 pages. I kept saying Wow over and over again as I read and finished the ending to the book. I can't remember the last book that had that profound effect on me. Now, I'm in search of my next books...I need to get one for our trip. I don't think I'll have a lot of reading time, but in all the travel, there should be some quality time for me.

Tonight, I'm heading to see Mom, Meema and the Boys. Mom has dinner all planned out for my visit and I think she and I have a pedicure date also. I missed last week due to my sick episode, so I think she is really looking forward to my time with them...she and I catch up on life and what's happening. I think it's a good release for having to deal with Meema and her issues...she can tell me the latest and vent about it. They sold Meema's car a few weeks ago and Meema won't be driving anymore due to her eye issues, so Mom is the chauffeur for doctors appointments, pharmacy runs, and every other kind of errand that Meema can think of.

Speaking of cars, we listed the Jetta again...we had one interested party, but he wanted to give me $1300 less than I was asking. I have an amount I want to get out of it and am hoping I can sell it within the next two weeks before the travelling starts. Well, I better get back to work. I have a project that I need to get done today...yeah! Have a great day!

No comments: