Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Lessons from Vacation!

So, while on our "vacation slash honeymoon" (as D would tell everyone who asked why we were there), D and I had a great chance to spend some quality time together. It was our chance to "reconnect" which sounds odd for only being married less than a year. With life around us so crazy busy, it's easy to see how couples lose touch and grow in different directions. We really make the effort to stop and spend time together, but it is amazing how the calendars fill up with other commitments and obligations. So, today, I share with you lessons from vacation:

  • We LOVE cheese! We went to several places that had cheese shops or tasting plates. As previously noted, we spent our last night on a hill eating cheese and some meats while sipping wine. Since we've been home, we have bought some cheese and meats and spent an evening together eating cheese and drinking wine. I think the cheese plate and a bottle of wine may be our new "date night" concept.
  • In fact, we LOVE food period! We sought out good restaurants and boarded buses into other areas because we'd seen them on TV or read about them in Lonely Planet. I am also becoming obsessed with all things culinary and am always trying new recipes on D. Fortunately, he is not a picky eater and will eat what I make. I always ask his input on what he wants.
  • Stinky people are everywhere and if there is a stinky person to be found, he/she will sit next to or near me! This started with the woman at Convention (from Minnesota, I later found out) who sat behind me during a keynote speech by the Lt. Governor of Oklahoma. It was so bad I almost walked out from being so nauseous. The worst part about this woman is that she went to college at one time and wouldn't her friends say something. After all, it was over 100 degrees every day in Scottsdale...I took a shower everyday and still worried about myself. Then, it continued in my travels with the man who sat in front of me on the way to Vancouver with the flecks in his hair. Each day of my vacation was incomplete until I experienced the stinky person of the day...it became quite the quest (not on purpose) and source of hilarity for D and I.
  • Drama is useless in any form. Whether the drama comes from work, friends or family, it offers nothing positive to one's life. Hence, my decision to not take the actions of others personally and let it effect my life.
  • We both have jay oh bee issues and need to do something about it. We talked about this at length and what goals we have in our careers and how best to achieve them.
  • I really like what I do as a Chapter Advisor...as frustrated and annoyed I am with the girls, I feel like I am making some kind impact in their lives.
  • We really want to buy our own home (to live in and not a rental) and are more focused on that goal. Before, we knew we wanted a home, but were not focused on how to get there. Now, it's become clearer and we will do whatever it takes for us to do that. Scary to say, but we both have evolved and grown into adults! Plus, we want a baby someday and don't want to displace D's memorabilia for a baby's room :)
  • And the most important lesson...enjoy each other's company and take the time to do so! We have so much fun together and love being married, but we sometimes forget to stop and spend uninterrupted quality time together. Being on vacation for so long made us realize how important we are to each other and that we've got a good thing going!

No comments: